For more information about PCOM's School Psychology Program, click here.

Sunday, March 18, 2012

My story...

    “Education is simply the soul of a society as it passes from one generation to another-Gilbert K. Chesterton”. Throughout the generations of my family, education remained a primary concern and goal. Each generation strived for their children to reach their fullest potential, even if they themselves were unable to complete their educational journey. My grandmother, Aleida M. Garcia, completed her education in Havana, Cuba. As she arrived to the United States she began teaching at the Philadelphia School District. Ever since, her enthusiasm and passion for education became imbedded into the foundation of our family.
My mother followed the footsteps her mother set forth, and became a teacher herself. Her energetic spirit and passion for all cultures, religions, and the importance of education made every moment into a learning experience. Both my grandmother and mother provided the best they could to ensure I too reached my educational goals.
Even though I had all the support and resources available, there was a time I struggled within school. I was once the child sitting across from a school psychologist. My confidence was shot, but I knew I could not give up. With the support from my family and continued effort, I have continued to do the best I can.
Growing up, I always knew I wanted to give back and work with children. However, as new experiences entered my life, my vision began to become more focused. Throughout high school and college, I was accepted to an apprenticeship program at the Monell Chemical Senses Center. Becoming a research assistant, under Dr. Julie Mennella, was one of the best educational experiences of my life. I gain an incredible amount of knowledge within the sciences and working with children and adolescents. In my senior year at the university, I began to truly focus on my career path, and all possibilities.
It became evident after extensive research that with a strong background in the sciences and psychology, and the desire to want to help children both academically and emotionally, school psychology was the perfect match for me.
            To this day, I have no regrets in the career choice I have made. Continuing the investment of my education is one of the proudest choices I have made. I chose the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine based on its excellent reputation, diverse student body, and experienced faculty. As a student at the Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine, I am confidant I will be well prepared and well rounded to face numerous challenges. I look forward to the future, and the potential impact I will make. 

-Aleida Silva-Garcia

No comments:

Post a Comment