For more information about PCOM's School Psychology Program, click here.

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Book recommendation: Getting Things Done


We all want to maximize the efficiency with which we get things done, while minimizing the energy we put into doing those things.  No one wants to expend the most energy doing or thinking about work-related things, whether they be scheduling appointments, drafting an email, or editing a paper.  I know I would much rather put my energy towards kayaking, swiftly followed by eating ice cream, instead of worrying about everything I have to get done.

We want the fastest, most stress-free route to completing something, but we don’t want to sacrifice the quality of the finished product (I never take the fastest route when I’m driving because I never know where I am.  Ever.  Maps and spatial relations aren’t my thing). 

How does this way of life become reality?  Organization!  I consider organization as one of my strengths.  However, I recently started reading Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress-free Productivity written by David Allen.  I definitely have some tuning up to do.  I might as well get this process down now before I start internship or my first job as a school psychologist.  By that time, I will definitely be juggling more meeting scheduling, email corresponding, and report editing. 

Allen maintains that once one’s mind is clear of to-do lists and important information is stored in a reliable organization system, one’s creative potential can then be released.  While I read the chapter on the five stages of mastering workflow, I reassessed my whole organization system and realized that I could get so much more accomplished in less time if I knew where everything was or threw out old, irrelevant documents. 

I definitely recommend this book to anyone looking to revamp organizational strategies and become more productive in a stress-free environment. 

By the way, I am currently reading three books and two of them were not on my original summer reading list… So many books to read!


No comments:

Post a Comment